A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
You have been recruited by the Supercluster Federation to acquire scientific and archaeological data from the remnants of ancient civilizations for study.
The Milky Way Superintelligence has predicted a new filter that our societies must understand to survive. Your colony ship DSCV Starscan is uniquely suited to deep space exploration. Please search for ancient civilizations and evidence of their final days.
Take the helm as captain of the Deep Space Colony Vessel Starscan, exploring procedurally generated sector space to search for the remnants of ancient civilizations and find clues to understand the coming Great Filter. Can you find your way through the sector, manage your meager resources, protect your crew from surface and orbital hazards, and save humanity?
Humanity awaits your bold answer.
What you can expect
- Play through ranges from 30-45 minutes.
- New sectors generated for each play.
- Emergent narrative created through generated events and artifacts.
- Casual resource management: fuel, crew, cargo.
- Player attributes, stats, and scores tracked.
- System scanning mini-games
- Helpful and not-so-helpful hint text
Mouse click. You click to fly to new systems, click to select planets to visit, click to investigate scanned surface items. Sometimes you click buttons to choose options or navigate to different parts of the space port or to perform a system scan.
Touch works just like mouse input.
Starscan is open source software, released under GPLv2 license.
This game was originally made by @talrnu and I for a Godot Engine game jam. I liked it so much that I decided to finish it so people can play it. It is a work in progress and I try to fix bugs as I find them. The source code and issue tracker are on GitHub.
Connect with me!
Come hang out on The Voltur Nest discord if you want to say hi or need help with something. The community we're building is *amazing*. If you prefer, you can also connect with me on Twitter and Mastodon.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Gamepads, UI, and Steam[Deck]45 days ago
- Maintenance Release!Mar 07, 2022
- Starscan Is Now Open Source!Sep 17, 2021
- Outpost-to-Outpost Travel Routes!Aug 07, 2021
- Quality of Life Bump: Audio update and readability tweaks.Jul 31, 2021
- System Scanning Difficulty, Audio Tweaks and Bug FixesJul 17, 2021
- Audio pt. 1 and a No-No List!Jul 10, 2021
- Procedural Generation, System Scans, and Mission ReadabilityJul 02, 2021
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.